Friday, April 23, 2010

Almost ready...

Well, almost ready to go...


Reviewed some details on my base framework, you can get it here.


My framework just features:



  • D3D9 initialization and some helpers

  • FMOD interface for sound

  • 2d Sprites

  • 2d Particle System (very rudimentar, 2 color one)

  • Text (works terribly in fullscreen, hope I have time to fix that during the competition)

  • 3ds file loading (only tested with 3ds generated by 3d Studio Max). Loads lights, meshes and cameras.

  • Small simple math library (vectors and quaternions)

  • Simple 3d camera handling system (just look at operation)

  • XML loading/saving (might come in handy for configuration files, load/saves, etc. The XML loader was created by Frank Berghen, not me... the writer is all me, although the loader also has save functions, but I'm too lazy to figure out how they work)

  • 3d particle system (based on the 2d one, so very rudimentary)

  • 3d sprite system (quads that always face the camera)


This still does much less than the usual game makers, flash, etc, but it really shaves off about 10 hours or so work...


Still want some time to review my pixel-art talent (had good results on my last competition with some static stuff, want to see if I can learn how to animate a simple character... Really recommend this link: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/art/features/CoderGameArt/ , and this sheet for reference: http://pages.cthome.net/mnoni/webpage/finalfantasy.gif ).



cutscene_cursed.jpg


Finally, I still need to go junk-food shopping... you can't have a 48-hour competition without tons of junk food... chips, drinks, chocolate... hum... chocolate....


There's some good themes for the competition this time around... Kind of rooting for "Pretentious Art Game", although I have no idea what to do with that, but it would be fun thinking up... "Forest" might also be nice, as well as "Collecting" (rogue-like, here I go!).


Anyway, I'll be updating my Facebook, my own personal blog (http://www.returnofthespellcaster.blogspot.com) and Ludum Dare's blog (http://www.ludumdare.com/compo) one throughout the competition, as usual...


So good luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment